Go to content

Passports, visas and ID cards

You must be able to show your identification when you are travelling. Consider that sometimes a visa may be required.


When you travel abroad, you need to show your identification, either with a passport or national ID card.

If you have a Swedish passport, you can get more information from the police, or alternatively contact your embassy.
Swedish Police website (new window).

Some countries require that your passport is valid for a given period of time after your entry. You should find out what requirements apply in the country you are travelling to. Consult the embassy or consulate of the country in question.  

Temporary passports

Temporary passports for Swedish citizens can be issued by the police at Stockholm Arlanda Airport. It is about a 10-minute walk from the terminals to the police station. Follow the signs from SkyCity towards the police. 

When you apply for a temporary passport, your permanent passport will be cancelled, which means that the processing period is longer. You must therefore expect it to take a little longer to receive your temporary passport.

From November 7 it is no longer possible to apply for a temporary passport at the police station at Arlanda. Instead, they refer to the Norrmalm and Farsta police stations. From November 13, the service will also be offered by the Sollentuna police station. Read more here (in Swedish).


A visa is required for travel to certain countries. Contact your travel agency or the country's embassy for more information about visas and their application process.

Passenger security checkpoints

When you travel to countries within the the Schengen cooperation area, there will be no border check in conjunction with your arrival. However, some airlines still require a valid passport or national ID in conjunction with the flight. You will also need to verify your identity with a passport or national ID during your stay in the country you are visiting. We therefore recommend that passengers always bring a valid passport and ID. Read more on the Swedish Police website.

For trips to countries outside the EU, border checks are carried out, and you must be able to provide a valid passport, as before.